Battery packs - no spot welder or solder required

Anyone come across these before? http://vruzend.com/product/vruzend_basic_kit/

Looks like a pretty decent cheap way to make up a battery pack without buying a spot welder.

Yes we have seen it before. No one has tested it yet. Somebody’s got to take one for the team.

i dont see how these work. there’s no compression happening as the plastic bits on the top and bottom of the cell arent squeezed together. theres a screw on the top and bottom but nothing between the plastic bits to clamp them together.

I have their kit but kind of stalled due to house move, I am somewhat customising as resistance is futile

2 Likes

I’m too scared to solder my batteries together and risk damaging £160 worth of them, so I’ll probably be trying this over the summer, see how it works.

My main concern is that they can hold 50 batteries only. Fine for a 10s3p, but if you want to make a 10s6p, you won’t be able to. Can these individual kits then be linked together?

3 Likes

That’s alot of batteries lol

You didn’t see the video they give you zip ties to hold them together

Yeah I’m probably going to stick to the 10s3p pack :stuck_out_tongue: just because otherwise price goes up and so does space. However @smurf did raise a good point that the 10s6p would have a longer life-span :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They would indeed, but also double the price and space. Unfortunately with batteries there is always a trade off. :frowning:

I’m curious how well this system will handle high voltage and high current with vibration

2 Likes

I’ve been looking at these for a while. The biggest concern for most is if they can handle vibration over time. Especially harsh terrain. And the concern is for the nuts coming loose, not the batteries coming loose from the plastic holders. Only issue I have is that the company still doesn’t have the strips available seperately…so custom sizes aren’t really doable unless you buy a whole lot of their kits.

you can use thread lock on the nuts to keep them from vibrating loose.

The kit contains 50 plastic holders, so you can go up to 10S5P, which is already a decent size. There are indeed in the kit plastic strap to ensure the cells don’t come loose from the holders. I assume you can put as much as you want. They are saying the system can handle vibrations, but they also suggest to add loctite of hot glue on the thread if you want to be completely safe. One of the guys behind this company has made a lot of videos on batteries for e-bike (he is the one you can on the demonstration video on Youtube). He usually spot welds all his batteries. I assume that if he promotes this new system he is reasonably confident the result will be similar. you probably have more vibrations on a Esk8 than on an E-bike, but if a battery is placed in a good enclosure I cannot see how you cannot manage to make it stable. Happy to see the first test by a member.

I’m kind of interested, but would it be possible to connect them vertically, as in like this:

They don’t show anything similar in their examples.

2 Likes

Interesting but too much wasted space for me.

I am wondering about this two, could allow for more compact battery packs.

I think it’s only possible if you bend the connecting plates in a V or U shape. The structure is made for batteries standing up with an horizontal perpendicular connection.

Yeah, I will probably just go with this:

1 Like

There is a comment on one of the videos from the creator talking about using them for electric skateboards. He mentioned that they are not rated high enough for an e board at the moment unless you use a large amount of cells in parallel to spread the load. He did say that they are in the process of developing a higher rated version for the future.

Plus like someone else mentioned the vibration from usage in a electric skateboard would just tear it apart. He recommends it for bikes because they have their own independent suspension system that basically dampens every vibration from the road.