Battery not Charging!

you need 42 volt 2 ampere charger

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=42+v+charger+2a&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A42+v+charger+2a

I have two 42 volt chargers here at home. One is an enertion fast charger and the other is just the regular one for my old Raptor. I was wondering about a balance charger that would work for my battery so that I can make all the cell equal again.

Hey s guys. I’m searching for lipos on amazon and I think I read somewhere that @Namasaki said that Venom brand batteries are good. Are these batteries decent. And what charger should I get to charge them? How many should I get. I would like to go fast and get some good mileage per charge like my 10s4p would get. Thanks again dudes!

https://www.amazon.com/Venom-5000mAh-Hardcase-Battery-Connector/dp/B01KBRKYPM/ref=sr_1_62?ie=UTF8&qid=1498005439&sr=8-62&keywords=venom+lipo+battery

I also heard that the Venom batteries for good so I spent quite a bit extra to get them and even paid for the corresponding lipo charger. Lasted only eight months and then the cells got totally imbalanced

Also when I built my first board pre-built liion packs weren’t really a thing

Bummer about your experience. I can deal with 8 months though. I ride hard around the city so I just want something dependable. I wish I could find a prebuilt liion pack for a lower price than what I’ve seen. I’ve spent too much in the last 6 months and my fiance won’t have it anymore. lol.

I had only one set of Venoms. 6s/2500mah I ran them in series. They gave me a solid 5 mile range and no swelling. I didn’t have them in service for 8 mo. though. They where in my safe along with my Basen 4500 battery build when it got stolen during a burglary. Also mine where the older version, not the “Fly” version.

Those Venom batteries from Amazon are just too expensive, I would not recomend paying that much for them.

You would probably do better with Gens Ace. They are said to be good and a lot cheaper than Venom.

Disclamer I have never used Gens Ace, I have just heard that they are good. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=gens+ace

1 Like

Yeah, those batteries are costing you more then what li-ion cells would cost. I would recommend using the lipo search on Hobbyking.com. You can enter many specifics criterias and it will show you many good options. For $101 I bought me some good lipos from aliepress.

1 Like

I have been using five of these in series with a BMS on both of my builds and they have been rock solid so far. My build number one has been sporting them for 9 months of recreational riding with lots of hill climbing.

1 Like

This is my main charger for my boards with onboard bms My Battery Supports 5a charger is in the closet getting dusty. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G0HAY3U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Looks great. I think I’m going to order this charger today. @Namasaki Would u be able to charge my boards through the charge port (same as the space cell has)? Would I also be able to charge the groups of cells individually so that if they are u balance I can balance them properly?

This power supply makes a very versatile charger. You can adjust the voltage anywhere from 0-60v So you can charge any size pack up to 12s as a whole or charge individual cells or cell groups. You just need to make a charge cable for your charge socket and some alligator clips for charging individual cells

1 Like

That’s awesome. Sounds like I need something like this. Do you have any info on how to make a charge cable for the socket? I think I know how to make the alligator clips for charging individual cell groups.

Just find a matching connector for the charge socket and two 4mm male banana connectors and son wire

1 Like

Thanks @Namasaki for the power supply recommendation. I just ordered the same one you have. It’ll be here in a week or so. So now if I switch over to lipos I should be in a better position to charge them and keep them safe and healthy. Hopefully it’ll do the same for my liions too!

I still use a hobby charger to charge individual multi cell Lipo packs because you can’t connect to their individual cells seeing that they are sealed up. You could use the power supply to balance them by charging their individual cells though the balance leads as long as you use low current.

Anytime you charge multiple cells in series, you either need a balance hobby charger or power supply charging through a bms. When charging a single cell or cell group which is multiple cells in parallel, you don’t need the bms or a balance charger.

Hi I am having a similar problem. I have a 10s2p homemade battery 36V. My problem is that it is not charging. I had a 42v 3A charger but it seems to be broken. I’ve borrowed a normal 19V laptop charger and it appears that my battery is in fact losing charge. Is this supposed to happen? Any suggestions?

Oh lord.

Do NOT plug in that 19V charger.

A chargers voltage isn’t some kind of “power” spec. The voltage needs to match the battery, hands down, or something could catch fire.

If you have a 10S battery then that means your charger needs to go up to 42V.

How are you try to charge it? Is there a BMS between the charge port and the battery? Are you trying to charge just the pack alone? We need more details.

yes there is a bms attached but the 42v charger i had broke so I was trying to find a way to charge it for the moment. Thanks for saving me lol

If you have a CCCV bench power supply you can set it to 42V 3A you could charge it that way until you get yourself a new charger.