AT skate conversion from lead-acid to Li-ion project

That’s what I have done: re-use the existing ESC with a new Li-Ion battery, and it works fine. I just had to put an adaptor to connect the XT60 of the battery to the T-connector of the ESC. But with 8Ah you will not go very far: around 8 km max.

1 Like

Thanks for replying! I probably wont go very far but considering i come from a pack of destroyed lead acid batteries that weight 11 kg i think i will improve my range a lot. Also i didnt want to spend more than 80 € in case it didnt work propertly. Do you have a video online or something to show how your skate goes? i didnt find anything in youtube about what you did and i think it would be very interesting. Also which batteries did you use and what range and speed are you getting?

The battery is a 10S4P. I get more or less the same speed as what I had with the 36V lead batteries. I have a couple of videos from my Gopro but I cannot manage to upload them. I may have to put them on Youtube and send you the link.

1 Like

These lead acid relics are usually perfect candidates for 2-4 of the 10s2p packs

hello guys I am new in the forum and also on e skateboard ,I bought an iskate classic that is similar to skatey 600w but the lead acid batteries are with small ampers ,ah 3 x 7ah 36 ,and almost dead as they are running for 5 km and not at all at small degrees hill,so reading here I want to go directly to Lipo and I need heeeeeelp :slight_smile:

Hi Scepterr, Sorry to resume such an old thread. I was wondering if you could share a sketch of how you wired the 4 10s2p packs together.

I’m thinking to put 2 of them in parallel but I was wondering how to wire them such as I can charge them together with 1 port without causing issues.

These packs don’t come with dedicated input port, hence the question. Thanks a lot for helping! Paolo

Hey JGA, I have a battery issue with a mototec 800w street skateboard that originally came with a 36v SLA pack like yours. I understand you didn’t replace anything else other than the battery on yours. I’m trying to find out if there’s anything else I need to put in like a volt meter if I want to go lithium ion. This is the first time I do something like this with any wiring so I don’t want to send my money down the drain by messing up the board further or totalling the batteries. Any advice would be appreciated!

Hey @Flasher did you ever get the board running ? I have the same one as you except mine is from Mototec. I want to make mine Lithium Ion but I want to make sure I do it right.

Here are some pics of my board btw

No, I just changed the plugs on both sides and plugged in the battery I had made a while ago. The electronic card and motor worked fine with the 36V battery. I have not used it for a while now, just sitting in my shed. I believe the risk of doing any damage to the battery is limited, so you should just give it a go. Even with a Li battery it is still quite heavy and I am not sure the autonomy improved much.

1 Like

Very helpful @jga! I hoped it would become alot easier to move than its current ~50lb weight. My intention was to use it to bridge the gap between public transport and my job so I can stop using my 99 Lexus as much. I think I may just take the plunge an buy a battery for it. I just need to take some more time to find the best price/shipping combo so it doesn’t take forever to arrive or spend a ton of money to revive the board.

@jga So tell me what was your range test?

@jga what was the maH on the end result for your 12s4p?