Are 50mm OR 63mm Motors Better on V4.12 VESC?

Thanks for the data. Looks like the 50mm motors I am distributing are up to the task!

One very important point you continue to ignore is the fact that motors “pull” power. Another point you may not even be aware of is the fact that everytime you accelerate there is a burst of current, the amplitude of that burt is directly related to the size of the motor you are using. This burst is even more apparent when you apply braking current which explains the prevalence of abs-overcurrent faults on the 4.xx vesc when using larger motors.

The VESC is a wonderful device but it does have limitations and if you go past these limitations too far you are increasing the chances of a hardware related failure due to limits in processor speed in relation to amperage spikes.

@cmatson I have access to every motor available. I chose a 5065mm motor simply because it was a better fit for the V4.xx VESC. I am not forcing anyone to buy my motors and I still provide repairs for people who run larger motors on the VESC’s I build. I have always been open and truthful with my marketing and do my best to stick with the facts rather than fluffy window dressing.

There will always be times when my findings do not jive well with someones marketing strategy and those people will obviously lash out and try to twist the information into an argument. This will not stop me from continuing to push the limits and find the weaknesses of the VESC throughout it’s development and I will always freely share my findings.

4 Likes

:joy: tears of joy @chaka

jk… I’m just being a troll… gotta admit… They need a popcorn emoji plus a prayer emoji.

1 Like

[quote=“torqueboards, post:63, topic:6074”] They need a popcorn emoji plus a prayer emoji. [/quote]@torqueboards

:popcorn: :pray:

:wink: There ya’ go!!

1 Like

Will these Vesc Over-Heating problems with 63mm motors be greatly diminished or gone with the Ver 6 vesc?

dang I expected @XvDarkVAngelvX to reply

1 Like

Sorry been :yum: working. I thought they did. But if :scream: they have it. I betcha I find :heart_eyes: it. Lol

I am fully aware of how it works, that’s why I am having this discussion openly with the community, it’s so that everyone can better understand your unique findings… What you keep omitting from your statements is that these are geared systems. Therefore, current burst during acceleration is directly related to the load on the motor, the load is directly related to the reduction ratio & wheel size you are running… not to mention rider weight

• Motors pull more & more current until the load is reduced.
  1. Mechanical reduction amplifies torque & reduces motor load.
  2. The greater the reduction the less load on the motor & the lower the current peaks (also less load during regen)

This is not my marketing strategy, nor is it meant to be argumentative, if anything it’s a public awareness campaign!

The best way to shut me up is provide some actual data, otherwise I’m forced to call you out.

I have been designing & testing drive trains, selling motors & building eboards for the public for several years now. You have only just started to sell motors last month & it is obvious that your language has rapidly changed to be pro 50mm. With no data to support it.

What you might not know, I have also sold many 50mm motors in the past… The reason I stopped selling 50mm motors is due to customers burning them up. This doesn’t happen with 63mm motors installed into effecient drive trains.

63mm motors don’t break VESC - Inefficient drive train design & Bad settings breaks VESC.

3 Likes

One does wonder why Evolve and Boosted run 50’s.

Cost and weight reasons but maybe some system efficiency as well.

Would still have to think that a 63 has more torque on the low end and maybe more practical for single motor setups.

I think youre correct. My sheer intuition says that ollinco motors are better as a dual than enertions dual 6355. BUt a Enertion 6374 is much better as a single drive than an ollinco single.

The cheaper dual drive is more efficient and costs less, while being in balance with vesc limitations. The enertion setup could be just extra materials that are unnecessary. just what I gathered from reading this

Boosted have a fairly slow top speed & use fairly high reduction 3.5:1 with small wheels. So they can get away with smaller motors, their system would not work well at higher speeds. They would need bigger motors & More current.

Evolve I can’t be sure exactly why they have done it, it could just be to reduce weight. It’s also worth noting their default top speed is not very fast. I think people installing the larger wheels & trying to ride as fast as possible will eventually have problems. If not directly with the ESC maybe we will see issues with reduced battery life expectancy. At this stage i don’t think anyone knows what the max current that their controller can handle. Maybe they are running higher current than the 50A of VESC

One thing that many of you may not be considering is cost. I could make 3 cheaper 50mm motors for the price of one R-SPEC 6355

I don’t think Boosted and Evolve are using VESC, they have their custom ESC, so their motor size are irrelevant, in regard of this Topic.

that’s a good point, boosted had the privilege to engineer a controller, motors & drivetrain all together at the same time, so comparing their setup to VESC is not saying much.

except they don’t easily fit on most trucks side-by-side in a rear dual configuration, that is another reason i stopped using 50mm as they tend to be longer.

1 Like

Oh, I guess that your moto: over engineer everything. is the best way to go. Especially on shorter trucks

Well, since my comment was more or less ignored I’m going to try again. Is anyone on here in the SoCal area that has access to both a @onloop 63mm RSpec Monodrive and a @chaka 50mm OM5065 Monodrive board?

Both need to be 10s and running a VESC (I don’t care whose). Id prefer 80mm or 83mm wheels. And a rider that’s average size.

I work in TV. I’ve got the camera gear. I’ve got eyes. I’ve got a sense of touch. I’ve got a Infrared thermometer.

lets settle this shit ourselves.

Who’s with me? :muscle:

4 Likes

@CSN - 50mm motors are a lot cheaper than 63mm motors. But also because they have ESCs like the VESC which limit amps to the motors.

Because Dual 50mm is great and 63mm isn’t necessarily needed for dual motors.

Single 50mm lacks a bit but is doable.

I’d take Dual 50’s over Dual 63mm because of weight. I’ve only ever found them to be an issue for really steep hills. The only downside is they don’t have a 5055 which why I made my recent 5055’s. It weighs a lot less. The stator was upgraded to a stator of a 5065 motor (40.6mm x 30mm).

Put a 110kg guy on that and send him up a steep hill… the word GREAT is not what i would use. More like HOT

It would take more than one hill to get it hot. Granted, I do agree if you want to climb 10-20 steep hills back to back the bigger motor does help with heat.

@onloop Just weighed our motors again after discovering our scale wasn’t calibrated correctly. Looks like our 50mm motors actually weigh 492 grams.

So according to your watts per gram rule we get 984 watts @ 2 watts per gram and 1476 watts @ 3 watts per gram. The reality is we are mounting these motors to an aluminum mount which also acts as a heat sink and expands the real world output of motors on eboards unless you for some reason use a material with poor thermal properties like carbon fiber. If that is the case the heat will be isolated to the mass of the motor alone. I can see now why you must have trouble with heat dissipation. If you upgrade your motor mounts and use an aluminum plate your customers will be able to increase loading and use a wider range of gear ratios.

4 Likes

That’s a good point… I hope motors don’t burn up haha