ARDUINO - help and ideas thread

A VESC and an Arduino are two completeley different things. An arduino is just an AT chip on a breakout board.

I believe you could light up a few leds or drive a very small dc motorā€¦like for opening a cover for youā€¦ but not really a full sized vehicle which needs to carry at least 100lbs or so :slight_smile:

Basically, I think you can look at Vedder and how much time he has spent and is still spending to create a motor controllerā€¦ You can adjust / develop control mechanismā€¦ but to create the drive electronics is a bit different taskā€¦ I think :wink:

Dontā€™ we all?

Suppose this is one of the drawbacks of this online world. Wouldnā€™t be so bad if we all had a beer in our hands.

I tried to be a bit more specific in my post. Yes it would be possible to replace a VESC with an arduino, Itā€™s just a lot of work. After all arduino is the brain of many robotics projects and is a very good interface between code and the physical electronic world. And yes, arduino runs on 5V. This is why we would need mosfets and potentially a driver chip to control them. You can even buy motor driver shields, e.g. Adafruit Motor/Stepper/Servo Shield for Arduino v2 Kit [v2.3] : ID 1438 : $19.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits ā€¦ up to 13,5V Iā€™m not aware of standard shields that go up to our 42V.

So yes, if anybody is up for it, it would doable and competition would be good.

Iā€™m trying to create my own 2.4ghz remote system using an uno, a micro, and some nRF24L01+ modules. The only problem is that Iā€™m a complete novice with arduino so iā€™m having some difficulty getting anything to work.

I tried following some examples online but cant find anything specific to esk8 (outside of this forum of course).

Things I want to include: dead mans switch, potentiometer based thumb wheel, data logging on the uno, and maybe lights later on.

hereā€™s what I have so far:

Could anyone provide a good example or tutorial on how to set these things up?

Have managed to get the modules communicating yet?

hey i just made a led blink (looks at this tread)

nope i dont know any ting

not yet. Iā€™m beginning to think on of my solder joints on the chip is messed up, because Iā€™ve even tried copy and pasting known working programs. Gunna have to check them over next.

Controlling the esc with the arduino is surprisingly easy on the other hand, so at least thereā€™s some progress.

Which library are you using? I would go for the Tmrh20 rf24 library and see if you can get the print details function to return the correct information.

I had a few issues with the arduino communicating with the module to start with.

Try follow the instructions here https://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/Nrf24L01-2.4GHz-HowTo and then run the pingpair_test from the RF24 examples on just 1 arduino and see what it prints out

Hi, Maybe any of you can help me? I canā€™t get the values from the VESC oved uart. There is what I have done so far: Picked up PPM+UART in bldc tool Set the proper bound rate to 115200 Downloaded this library https://github.com/RollingGecko/VescUartControl. (Put the folder into arduino libraries) Done some coding. Wired vesc5vā€“aruino5v vescGNDā€”arduinoGND RXā€“TX TXā€“RX

But everything Iā€™m not able to receive any values from the vesc. I guess this line of code isnā€™t working: if (VescUartGetValue(values)) Maybe you can help me to solve this problem?

@smudgeUK@EssEnn @chinzw Hello, I recieved my Controller and I want to get data from it by the reciever, would it be possible?

Which kind of Arduino is it?

It is arduino nano. And now everything works for me. But maybe you know how to calculate speed properly? I get the rpm value. This is my equation: speed=((values.rpm/2.40.0002513660)); 2.4 is my reduction ratio. 0.00025136 is my wheel traveled distance per one turn (in km) 60 is minutes. The problem is that speed is far more bigger than it would be.

I think the rpm you get is the ERPM and needs to be divided by the motor poles count.

My motor has 14 poles. So I need to divide it by 14? I saw one guy divides it by 38. Why?

values.rpm / (((magnets / 2) * wheelPulley / motorPulley / (wheelsizeInMM * 3.14159265359 / 1000) * 60 / 3.6)

1 Like

I think you mean 28 - that was me :smiley: My motor has 28 poles

No not you :smiley: @Ackmaniac why 3.6?

1 Like

And if you wnat to calculate the distance then by the tachometer_abs then you need to calculate

tachometer_abs * ((wheelsizeInMM / 1000) * 3.14159265359 / (wheelPulley / motorPulley) / magnets / 3)

1 Like

Because you calculate meter per second and want km/h

But you already did that revolutions per minute 60= revolutions per hour revolutions per hourtraveled distance=km/h Maybe I am wrong. Not sure