A safe build/DB Lunchtray/"Jacob trucks"/Jacob hub Motors/ Enertion VESCs/Space cell/lipo flat pack

I am a pro-strap advocate, but this is dangerous!! With straps, you can stay locked into the board, but you should always have a way to bail if things get scary. If this thing randomly decides to go full speed. The only way out is to fall- and fall forward most likely. You are completely trapped in! You ride with this and there is a high likelihood of eating s#!t.

No no sorry I posted that picture just to give an idea of ground clearance. Ain’t no way I’m using bindings. I think I was clear enough in my question but I can clarify

Ahh ok I see :wink:

The space cell will fit on that?? Maybe sell me your space cell and get a 12s1p battery so it’s smaller haha

Do you mean length wise? The space cell is 560mm but about 150mm of it is empty space because it’s only a pro 3 not a pro 4. I’ve been thinking about cutting it down, but let’s assume it fits onto a skateboard lengthwise as it is. I’m not selling you or anybody my space cell, sorry Uploading…

1 Like

@RunPlayBack already did this in his build:

seems to work pretty well

Haha was just trying :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks for this, this is exactly what I was thinking of. Looked like he has plenty of clearance. I would have 4mm less. He also mentioned a 19.5" wheelbase, I think I’d need 20.5 unless I make a little alteration to the space cell. Not sure if I’ll even like this so I probably won’t sacrifice my enclosure for the possibility of liking it. I’ll go to a skate shop and measure!

@Maxid @Luke yup plenty of clearance for Space Cell and a single VESC.

1 Like

Hey @RunPlayBack I got the new space cell enclosure (560*205mm) with 2 vescs. I hope that’s the case!

That’s his own enclosure he makes/sells

1 Like

The new Space Cell enclosure should fit. I’m a little lazy to do the math conversions but here’s the specs on my custom one:

Exterior Measurements: L: 20" W: 8" H: 2" Internal Measurements: L: 17.75" W: 5.25" H: 1.75"

it;s only length i was concerned with. mine’s 21ish inches. guess i’ll find out soon enough

Bought a skateboard deck, will try it out in the next week… For now I got this issue… Not sure if it’s battery, vesc or (most likely) motor related. My motor had a short circuit a few days ago, but luckily an electrician eskater lives around the corner from me and kindly fixed it. Everything worked perfectly last night. I left my space cell plugged in till the green light popped up which I try to avoid. I watched a couple Casey videos and it made me want to go skate, I carried my board 90% down my hill and rode it down the rest using the brakes to stop. Seemed to work ok. When I applied power I hardly moved and it’s been the same since… The only wheel that moves only moves slightly, and it’s connected to the slave vesc. https://youtu.be/hmf-B8Wm5aU Here’s some bldc tool stuff to check for fault codes https://youtu.be/a6M9_a1b0oU

to confirm it’s the actual motor I would remove the slave/master configuration and go with single for now. It’s odd that vesc that’s actually delivering power to a motor is only showing a duty cycle of 4-5% and the other is showing 95% (I’m assuming you have the remote at full throttle).

So first setup Vesc 1 with motor 1 test then Vesc 1 with motor 2 test then Vesc 2 with motor 1 test then Vesc 2 with motor 2 test

That will help eliminate a lot of possibilities. Also do a motor detection with those tests on top of using your remote. Do not use any Can bus setup though.

Thanks for the reply @racidon . I tried doing what you told me to do (it’s almost 3am, i made some silly mistakes in the video like not writing configuration, just ignore that for a sec) here’s what happened (watch only up to 4 minutes unless you wanna cringe): This is Vesc 1 with both motors https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfWJhryBdTk Then you can watch this for vesc 2 with both motors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFZXdrlVbQA Finally I put the canbus wire back in just to see what effect the canbus has: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2ZONUwfrGY So from what i gather, both vescs are fine 1 motor is fine, the other has some serious issues which probably have to do with shorting out a couple days ago the canbus may be playing up

thanks for your help I should sleep, I look forward to your thoughts on this, please dont make fun of me not being able to set up a remote :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Luke, post:113, topic:2912, full:true”]…Too much to quote :slight_smile: [/quote]

Hey mate, what I say you can take with a grain of salt because I have probably just as much experience with eboards and the like as you do. However from what I can see your problem might be a broken connection in your “dodgey” motor (the one that wouldn’t move).

Why does your other one spaz out with the canbus? Without knowing how these systems work, I’d say for obvious reasons the VESC will try to balance the speed of other motors it has slaved/mastered up with to prevent one going at a super high speed in comparison to another. So there’s no other motor connected according to the other vesc and thus it reduces your duty cycle when slaved up. That’s why the good motor works fine on both VESCs without the canbus. An example would be a parent crossing the road with their child, although they might take steps no faster than that of the child, their steps will take them further and thus a parent needs to reduce the rate at which they walk so they don’t end up dragging the child across the road.

What might be the problem here? I would be willing to bet that it is likely a burnt out or broken phase wire for your dodgey motor or it’s seized (more likely the first). How can you check this easily? Try to turn it by hand, does it feel the same as your other one? aka not harder to turn in comparison? If no you still have a short, but I doubt this as I would assume this would kill your DRV like it did mine

If yes then lets test all 3 phase wires, this step please note that you are essentially shorting the motor out, so nothing electrically sensitive should be hooked up to the motor at the time. Join 2 of the phase wires together temporarily and try to turn the motor by hand, does it get harder when they are joined? (No - you have a broken connection in one of these wires) Do this so you test all combinations

Lets call them phase 1 2 and 3

join 1 and 2 join 1 and 3 join 2 and 3

try all three and report your findings :slight_smile: btw the videos like this help ALOT so good work :slight_smile:

Hey, I will wait till I have some that knows what they’re doing to do that with me. @blair will be able to describe the issue perfectly as he is the one that fixed the short originally. The broken motor is slightly harder to turn, but when it originally shorted it had brakes on full. Blair said that a little more resistance is to be expected as its lived a harder (2 week) life. I will do the try tests described on Friday if a family friend is available to supervise

How did you go Luke?

Hey I haven’t been able to meet up with people that know what they’re doing yet. I can probably set up a livestream for people to check what I’m doing so I don’t shock myself/my equipment. I’m just reading this thread, can you see this being what would be necessary?