6v sag too much?

I have my inline volt meter mounted through the top of my deck so I can watch it realtime.

I’m using Turnigy 60/120C 5000mah They have been going strong for one year. No change in capacity or performance

1 Like

I really should do this at some point with my 30Q 12S5P packs.

behaviorally they seem to give you serious load support all the way up until the BMS shuts down but i’d love to see the actual numbers in action (meaning video overlays like this) without having to move to the android ecosystem.

if anyone else has a similar config and can do so please post it.

not to keep throwing money at things but there are cheapass android phones out there you could use just for this purpose?

that’s an idea… maybe i’ll just find a used phone somewhere. thanks!

I recommend

Works very well on iPhone, i use it all The time to keep an eye on the sag :wink:

4 Likes

does this record pack voltage over time?

getting telemetry is great, but scope of this discussion is sag.

I’m more curious about your power consumption. Wh/AH there can be huge difference between riding style. For example slow cruising for me its 15 and normal riding it’s 23 and going a little faster I’ve seen 30 wh/ah per mile so power consumption is a huge factor

How much range/miles do you get minimum or average with the lipo packs you have?

i’m curious about this too because on the packs i use i get over 30 miles at what you consider normal riding speed, which is kind of fast for a lot of people.

sag in very high discharge packs vs sag in lower discharge packs of higher overall power is a neat topic because the higher the cell count in the lower discharge packs the closer you get to being a higher discharge pack while simultaneously eliminating more sag.

except the battery weighs 5 pounds by then.

You can compare sag on various cells pretty easily from the real world tests here.

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650comparator.php

Use .2a as a baseline discharge curve and compare to what you can pull (20a for example). You can check the difference to see the sag on a particular cell.

1 Like

Yes it does record a graph of voltage of the pack, amperage and lately you can pinpoint lowest and highest voltage from the whole record to a particular point on the graph and google map.

1 Like

With my 10s 5ah pack I’ve gotten up to 14 miles on flat ground and up to 12 miles with big hills.

That’s pretty damn good for only 180 watt hours (nominal V * Ah). The original space cell was 270 watt hours and I range tested it at 15 miles and change in the 15 degree weather going moderately slow.

That was about two years ago with the LG cells i guess. Chemistry is always getting better.

I got around 23 miles with hills on 12S 6.2Ah lipos, averaging over 20mph

Up steep hills I averaged 18Wh/mi. But on flats with nice concrete it was only 8-10 Wh/mi. Overall average was 12Wh/mi

Now I can trigger BMS cutoff at ~47V (3.9V/cell “nominal”). Zippy’s suck…

1 Like

Btw - would you know what cells Raptor 2 has? They seem to be very decent in terms of range and discharge - 432 Wh :fearful:

Samsung 30Q’s

1 Like

yeah they have 10S4P samsung 30Q packs. So your looking at 36v @ 12Ah so roughly 432 watt hours.

Not sure what that translates to on a Raptor but on one of my boards that would get you about 25 miles at 25mph. Ish.

That’s pretty good range namasaki and jmasta but it’s difficult to compare to 18650s because there seems to be different weight listed on different sights for the lipos you guys have. Seems to be close tho

@jmasta I average 23 wh/mi on flat land

The lack of voltage sag really helps mileage and so does the moderate San Diego weather.

15F is colder than I have ever experienced. Unless I’m mistaken, that kind of cold can have a huge effect on lithium cells and a huge effect on mileage.

Ok so my pack still has about 5 volts until cutoff, or about 10 mile range, but due to sag vesc is hitting soft and hard cutoff during heavy load. I can’t feel any power cutout while riding though, not sure how or why.

My concern is when per cell voltage goes down to 3v, let’s say, and sags down to 2.4v under load, would this cause permanent damage to the cells since their charge should be kept well above 2.5v?