3D Printed Hub for 6inch pneumatics on caliber trucks

1. When I started this project I aimed for offroad tires 200*50mm.
  2. I haven’t made them available for the public yet,so more testing needs to be done. With my 75kg and semi rough roads they have hold up just fine. Can’t see any wear and tear after ~500km

Do you talk about tyres or your hubs? If it’s about tyres please tell me which you use :grin:

Talking about hubs.

:joy: alright, nice!. Thought you dicovered some magic tyres

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for the good info. Glad to hear that they are still holding up so well for you guys, @L2chef -500km is super impressive! I realized that another advantage of the wider tires it that it lets you keep them at a lower psi and achieve the same stiffness as the contact patch of the wheel is larger, which ultimately puts less stress on the hubs. I just ordered a set of those tires.

Noted on the bolt pattern change. I’ll give it a try.

Two more questions for you guys -

1. Have you had any problems with vibrations at high speeds or imbalance in the wheels?

2. What pressure are you actually running your wheels at? @maxid I know that you said you tested them up to 3.5 bars, but is that what you are actually running at? it seems really high for this width of tire.

Hi Maxid,

You’re hubs looks very nice, But i want to know if it possible to use those wheels Link

no idea - might fit but somehow I doubt it. Without the inflation the tire needs to fit perfectly or the hub needs to be shaped differently to press the tire in place.

@Maxid How are your hubs holding up? I am thinking of getting them printed in SLS Nylon .

They are awesome - by gluing the bearings with epoxy I was able to eliminate the slight wobble they had previously (probably due to the tolerances not being quite right when printing. Otherwise they handled the abuse very well. I was drifting last week on sandy ground which means a lot of lateral forces and they worked perfectly fine. Also pneumatics on an esk8 are the only way for me from now on - can’t imagine why I should go back to urethane plus the 6 inch wheels seem like the perfect size. Only the pulley needs more teeth for better torque.

1 Like

Its a weird transition aint it? I really like my numies and the 6in airless on @psychotiller 6 shooters, I mean REALLLLLLY like them. I still get a lot of enjoyment out of my 97mm flywheels on the jet spud 29 too though. I couldnt say which is my favorite.

2 Likes

Once you go off-road we know which ones are your favorite very quickly :wink: The pneumatics seem to just be so much more versatile. The only reason to not go all in on pneumatics might be excessive wear if you carve like @whitepony

I really want to make the transition but they are expensive to switch but i have loads of Shapeways credit i need to spend then the tries aren’t so much after that.

Any chance either of you know if these hubs will work with the airless?

also was the feel difference between air and airless?

Yeah, off road there is no question. Ive got an MBS Comp 95 Im slowly building right now, has 8in numies and should be tons of fun. Carving is the main reason to keep some thane around, I worry that my nummies are gonna pop when I carve hard. I dont know if I carve quit as hard as @whitepony but I can touch the ground on some of the curves.

2 Likes

No idea - I designed them to be a tight fit with the AliExpress tires and can’t say anything about the airless ines

1 Like

Word, when printing these i want 2 rings and the 2 center pieces right? and for the pulley wheels i replace 1 ring with the pulley print correct?

If they fit the ali express tires that @Maxid is using then the airless should work as well. If there is a slight difference in the OD of the hub you can always glue some 1/16 ABS in there and then reseat the tires.

1 Like

Awesome thanks! having ridden both which do you like better, also what is the difference in the feel of the ride?

Its really hard to say. The nummies are a more comfortable ride than the airless, but he airless grip better. The airless are pretty much useless in the grass, the nummies run great as long as it isn’t wet.

Essentially, the airless wheels as are almost as grippy as ABEC 11 flywheels while still having a lot of give. he nummies will eat up more vibration and have more give but aren’t the best for carving.

1 Like

Isn’t it that pneumatics have quite good grip in the wet while urethane wheels will start to slip very early. And my pneumatics also have endless grip at carving. Guess the question is at how much pressure you run them. Or do in missunderstand the word “nummies”?

Your right. The 6in thane wheels don’t do well in rain on grass, that’s what I meant. I don’t ride in the rain much, to worried about shorts.

I find that soft thane grips better on heavy carves on asphalt/concrete. I usually run my pnumatics, or nummies, pretty hard so that probably accounts for me getting better grip on thane.