2 Motor 4WD?! D: DROP ur comments

just the fact that u have to pay 2 esc and 2 motors for lets say 400 bucks if u do this all WD and with singel motors you need to pay 4 each so 800 bucks

1 Like

I would say cost…

3 motor setup would be cheaper then 4 …

Aluminum for mounting could be pennies compared to a 4th motor.

Seem 2 motor scenario is not practical for this application… but idk…

It’s probably a viable option for 3 motor drive to cut some costs over going full 4wd…

That’s legit.

What performance benefits would the extra drive-only wheels have though for the extra weight you need over a dual-diagonal or both-rear-wheels drive?

what do u mean with drive only ?

as far as we went here i like to say, this is a 2,5WD with 2 motors … so u can drive straight with 4 wheels powered and hard turns with 2 WD on the outer wheels, which is acually supporting the turn if i calculate that physically correct.

and if u mean the difference between 2 motors 2 wheels in the back than i could imagine if u get wheelspin on the back tires (maybe a spot with sand or other slippy stuff the front drive-train could pull u out ^^

im just trying to figure out if this concept is possible … ^^

1 Like

no brakes :slight_smile:

year … for teeth reasons the back wheels may need to be fixed… so u can drive 2WD up to 4WD and still break with all wheels on the back truck

I think @PXSS did the math once for the turning radius and found out it should not be too big of a deal with the small distance the wheels are apart on a skateboard. Why nobody ever went all the way and tried it I don’t know.

2 Likes

Just put pulleys and motor mounts on a back truck – except instead of motors, put an axle through the motor holes. Just to try it out and see how much it bites while turning. Put actual motors on the front truck while testing :wink:

1 Like

It’s enough to cause shimmying and induce a wobble. Will increase the faster you go… And I’m not sure about you but the faster I go the harder I push into a carve as I don’t like staying centered…always leaning one way or the other keeps wobbles from happening…

It’s not a setup for high speed carving sure - but everyone always bashes the idea so nobody dares to try it. How we went 2 years plus without anyone actually publishing some test results is beyond me. People have done way crazier things on this forum.

I’d like someone to come up and say: I tried it, works up to 20km/h and sucks above that. Then we at least know and everybody could decide for themselves if 20km/h would be enough of a top speed for them but have a 4WD setup.

3 Likes

You don’t even need motors to test it… Just install one way bearings in some wheels with a key. It will be unpleasant.

Actually, its the inner wheels getting the power so any throttle you give will likely straighten out your turn.

And i have a single rear wheel drive, the sideways force it can throw at you from full throttle/brake almost hade me keel over several times. So i imagine that stiff axles would be that times four and the one way bearing 4wd that times two but with the added fun that the driven side can change any time! Would be an interesting ride indeed…

Though if you set sensible power levels on each motor and stayed of full gas in tight turns, it’d probably work out quite nice. But you might have to give up the brakes

Could’ve choose a bigger motor.

And all the mechanical parts you need are for free?

What ever happened to this http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/has-it-finally-been-figured-out-1-motor-2wd/4567

@Maxid @Deckoz I knew a guy from school that tried it and it worked. I have not seen him in mire than a year but I know his 1 motor “dual” worked fine.

2 Likes

Had to change the title from engine to motor, I hate it when people call motors engines, they’re different things

1 Like

Motor sounds better, Its also nice that you mention your edits.

$$$ Its all about the benjies

1 Like

To me it looks pretty sick idea as long as your motors and ratio can take the load.

I want to see what you’ll come up with!

1 Like