10mm pure nickel strip(WTB, USA)/ BATTERY SPOT WELDING DISCUSSION

Same guy sells them The electric blue is quite nice

3 Likes

$10 for 540ā€¦ thatā€™s a pretty good deal

http://www.ebay.com/itm/540pc-18650-DARK-GREY-Battery-Insulator-Ring-Adhesive-backing-ebike-DIYPowerwall/132303960347

2 Likes

awesome link @Hummieā€¦ :sunglasses: from my stillā€™in days I can;t get enough copper :wink:

Speaking of nickel strips, what is the rated Amps for a 10mm wide by .15 thickness strip? Iā€™ve seen so many different values that I donā€™t know what to trust.

One formula Iā€™ve seen is Surface Area * 19 / 4. For the above strip that is 100.1519/4 = 7.1A only. Yet Iā€™ve seen sellers claiming 40A on 12mm by 0.15mm pure nickel.

I bought these: ThreeBulls 200Pcs Cardboard 18650 Battery Insulators Electrical Insulating Adhesive Paper (Red 100Pcs + green 100Pcs) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074P6FNSK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_agIxaPRkzOIKT

Is good, snug fit. Tape off the end you trim 1st, otherwise the roll will unravel. You can use KAPTON or regular tape, it didnā€™t really matter for me. I also wrapped KAPTON tape around the outside prior to the nickel strips being installed as the pack will have some flex with just the tubes being hot glued, after you attach the ni strips, after that the pack will stiffen up really well.

1 Like

The 10mm wide/ 0.20mm thick roll from the alibaba seller i found on endlessphere came in today. . I tried to weld a small piece, but the 709 just cant handle it, too thick :(. If anyone wants to buy the roll I can get it out for about $70-75 shipped to the US depending where youā€™re at. PM me if youā€™re interested.

If that works, iā€™ll be a very happy camper. Especially if i can use the wand from my 709a on it with a little modification.

The only downside to using spacers other than having to buy spacers is that you canā€™t build as dense of a unit as you can without them. The upsides are good though. Better ventilation, additional structural strength, easier balance lead management, iā€™m sure i could think of more.

1 Like

iā€™m ordering about 600 cells from them in a few weeks. Iā€™ll grab some of their nickel while iā€™m at it and see how it fares.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a 709a in that pic. I have one in my drawer. It wonā€™t weld anything nearly as thick as 15mil strip with the wand for me. Whatā€™s the thickness you are using there? Iā€™m about to boost the crap out of that thing so i can use the wand. Somebody gave me some settings to try but it still wonā€™t penetrate my strips for a solid weld like the 788H does. It does a great job on the tiny little balance tabs, but i donā€™t use those.

I dont really understand why the pro battery makers (like you @longhairedboy) are still using nickel strips. I know they have proved to work but adding 3-4 layers of them takes way too much time if you do it as your daily job.

I did a quick search on the web and smart alternatives exist. For example:

Something like this has the following benefits:

1. cell level fuse (maybe @chaka you could be interested too 2)same power capability of 5!!! nickel strips (remember copper is about 4x conductive than nichel)
  2. reduced assembly time (as you were just welding 1 strip) 4)super cheap (the listing says about 55yuan/8ā‚¬ for the one you see in the pics) 5)vibration wont damage the weld (not severely) because of the elastic link
2 Likes

Does it come in single stack configs?

They say at quantity 200 it is custom made according to your design. This could be kinda revolutionary for pro makers.

If you want I can ask them if they have in stock some standard shapes.

1 Like

Does it have to be 200 of the same or could it be 2-3 designs?

Probably just 1 design. Anyways for flat batteries applications I would order a configuration with the height of 1 cell and lenght of 12. This would be ok to build packs up to 6p.

Yeah that would work, could be cut, stacked etc Iā€™m down for 200 1x12

A few reasons, for me anyway.

• strips allow literally any cell layout you can imagine and donā€™t restrict you to particular stacking patterns. Iā€™m still in the agile phase on most of my processes so this matters a great deal.
  • Iā€™m designing a stamp shape for my 5P trapezoidal stacking pattern that will drastically reduce battery pack time already, so iā€™m kind of ahead of you on that one.
  • custom stamps require tooling costs and bulk orders. Money.
  • Iā€™m famous, not rich, so dev time for shit like this is longer because i always have to hustle and flip other shit just to what i really want. I canā€™t shit money like @onloop does, just not that skilled. Yet.
  • I canā€™t weld copper. Yet. But when i can, i will be switching from nickel to copper. More shit flipping to get my welder modded.
  • time is something i donā€™t have a lot of so sourcing things takes longer in general. ITs hard to google when tiny blonde vikings are demanding burritos and cheese.
  • damping vibration on the whole pack and using a damping agent between cells while providing redundant parallel pathways between cells in each p group also works well.
3 Likes

A lot of good reasons. I hope the copper-nichel strips will become more available so that battery makers will save some time.

I just got SUNKKO 709A and tried it for the first time. Whatā€™s odd is I ordered .15mm strip from 2 different vendors who said it was pure nickel, but one was clearly thicker or stiffer than the other. Both of them, though, wonā€™t weld to the battery unless I am using a power of 7 and pulse of 6. My documentation says, too, 4-5 with a pulse of 2 (default), but that doesnā€™t do anything.

Do you find their suggestions to be inaccurate as well?